New recovery boiler and turbine generator
|Location:||Valdosta, Georgia, US|
|Client:||Packaging Corporation of America (PCA)|
|Scope:||Engineering, procurement, construction|
|Date:||end of 2011|
PCA is the fifth largest producer of container-board and corrugated packaging products in the United States with sales of US$2.4 billion in 2008. PCA operates four paper mills and 68 corrugated product plants in 26 states across the country.
The Valdosta project will reduce fuel and electricity purchased at the mill by 75 per cent. The plants efficiency improvements include a new recovery boiler and turbine generator and upgrades to the paper machine dryer.
Upon completion of the projects, the Valdosta mill will burn only internally generated, wood waste and black liquor in its boilers and will self-generate 100 per cent of its electricity requirements.
AMEC’s scope includes engineering design, procurement services and construction for the following:
- New 624,000 lb/hr, 1500 psig high efficiency recovery boiler to replace three existing recovery boilers
- New 52 MW double extraction, condensing steam turbine generator
- New high solids black liquor concentrator
- Demineralisers for boiler water treatment equipment
- Office/control room building
- Installation in an existing, operating pulp mill